Search This Blog

Thursday 10 August 2017

Arkose and Audaxing

If you've made it through my previous blogs you'll see that I've A) got a new bike that doesn't quite set my heart racing and B) given up on short circuit XC riding.

I can't remember what got me interested in Audax riding but the appeal was obvious, long rides, cheap entry fees and no doing short laps....

The Arkose by now has transformed from a reluctant purchase into the bike I enjoy riding most. I don't feel like I'm ruining it like I do my "nice" road bike and it makes my Fargo very sluggish.
With two wheelsets, one with Nano 40cs and the other with Panracer Gravel King 32c slicks it's 90% as good as anything you'll need here in Suffolk.

So, with a pair of Crudracer Mk3 mudguards fitted I pressed the Arkose into service in January at my first ever Audax, The New Year QE2 100k starting from Swaffham.
The all important Brevet card
For those unfamiliar with Audax events the long of short of it is that you ride a set route in a given time and use a Brevet card to record evidence you have visited a series of controls. What could be better, a bike ride where you collect stickers!?

Langham Dome, a resored WW2 Anti-Aircraft gunner training site

Since then I've ridden the Norfolk Special 200, the National 400 and the biggie, London-Edinburgh-London a 1440k ride with a 117 hr limit, that deserves a blog all of its own...

No comments:

Post a Comment